- Sub Headline: New Sustainable Seafood Pocket Guides and Posters Will Make a Positive Impact on Local Communities and the Environment While Enhancing the Guest Experience
- City: Stamford
- State: Connecticut
- Listed: December 10, 2015 9:25 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
STAMFORD, Conn. – December 10, 2015 – (FranchisePOD.com) – Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT) is pleased to announce another step in the company’s journey to be more sustainable by launching new, easy-to-use guides to help associates select from a wide variety of pristine catch that protects their local communities and the environment while maintaining and even enhancing the culinary experience.
Created in partnership with the New England Aquarium, and through collaboration across Starwood’s global business units, the back-of-house poster, purchasing pocket guide and supplemental instruction materials guide associates to species they should avoid in their region and why, offer alternative options, and provide a list of questions they can ask suppliers to determine if seafood is sustainable.
“The type of seafood and how it is caught and farmed has a huge impact on ocean health – which in turn affects our human health, our communities, our local economies and our business,” said Andrea Pinabell, Vice President of Sustainability at Starwood. “Overfishing, declining seafood populations, and ocean and waterway degradation are increasing concerns. Sustainability is core to who we are and selecting premium seafood that is well sourced and traceable is already a point of pride among our chefs. Our goal is to help Starwood associates around the world make selections that protect the environment and local fishing economies, and create a better experience for consumers.”
Starwood has shown strong leadership in sustainable seafood in the industry. In 2014, the company became the first global luxury hotelier to commit to banning shark fin in all restaurants and food and beverage services across its global portfolio. In 2012, Starwood banned all whale and sea turtle from its menus.
“We are excited to be partnering with Starwood to advance their sustainable seafood efforts and empower their associates to help Starwood achieve its goals,” said Tania Taranovski, Director of the Sustainable Seafood Program at the New England Aquarium. “Associate education is a critical step in driving improvements and Starwood is leading the way by developing practical and innovative educational tools.”
Earlier this year, Starwood released its Sustainable Seafood Position Statement, which is part of a larger Sustainable Food & Beverage Policy. Initially published in 2012 and updated this year, the “Eat Local, Think Global” program is a collection of principles that guides sustainable food and beverage sourcing, production, consumption and disposal within and across Starwood properties worldwide. These principles include sourcing more local foods and beverages at Starwood hotels, encouraging properties to buy from farmers who practice certified and sustainable farming, and supporting Fair Trade practices.
About Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with more than 1,270 properties in some 100 countries and over 180,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences under the renowned brands: St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Tribute Portfolio™, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, Element®, along with an expanded partnership with Design Hotels™. The Company also boasts one of the industry’s leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG®). Visit www.starwoodhotels.com for more information and stay connected @starwoodbuzz on Twitter and Instagram and facebook.com/Starwood.
SOURCE Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts
216 total views, 1 today
Popular Ads Today
- Signal 88 Security Franchise Opportunities (5 views)
- Franchising Growth: Signal 88 by the Numbers (4 views)
- Meet The Signal 88 Security Franchise Leadership Team (4 views)
- An Interview with Signal 88 Co-Founder Reed Nyffeler (3 views)
- Quaker Steak & Lube® New Entrees and Desserts Combine for a Full-Meal Dining Experience (6 views)
- Coverall® Appoints New Chief Financial Officer (5 views)
- Juice It Up! Signs Three-Store Deal To Enter Florida (4 views)
- Tacos 4 Life Restaurant Brings on New Executives to Expand Business and Mission (4 views)
- E-2 Visa Holders Welcome As Nestlé® Toll House® Café by Chip® Franchisees (4 views)
- Jazen Tea Celebrates 5 Years With Free Drinks for a Year (4 views)
- Build Your Dream Lineup At Taco John’s® (4 views)
- BodyLogicMD Transforms Integrative Medicine for Physicians and Patients With Exponential Growth and Expansion (4 views)
- Woody’s Bar-B-Q® Heads North to Bring a Taste of the South to the Empire State (4 views)
- FASTSIGNS INTERNATIONAL, INC. CEO CATHERINE MONSON TO SHARE SUCCESS STRATEGIES AT DALLAS C-SUITE NETWORK CONFERENCE (3 views)
- VaporFi Continues Expansion with Seven Store Openings in Atlanta (3 views)