- Sub Headline: Company Disables Malware Discovered at Additional Restaurants
- Franchise URL: http://www.Wendys.com
- Listed: June 10, 2016 8:46 am
- Expires: This ad has expired
DUBLIN, Ohio (FranchisePOD.com) June 9, 2016 – The Wendy’s Company (NASDAQ: WEN) announced today that additional malicious cyber activity has recently been discovered in some franchise-operated restaurants. The Company has disabled the malware where it has been detected.
This latest action is the result of the Company’s continuing investigation into unusual credit card activity at some Wendy’s® restaurants. Reports indicate that payment cards used legitimately at Wendy’s may have been used fraudulently elsewhere.
Based on the preliminary findings of the previously-disclosed investigation, the Company reported on May 11 that malware had been discovered on the point of sale (POS) system at fewer than 300 franchised North America Wendy’s restaurants. An additional 50 franchise restaurants were also suspected of experiencing, or had been found to have, other cybersecurity issues. As a result of these issues, the Company directed its investigator to continue to investigate.
In this continued investigation, the Company has recently discovered a variant of the malware, similar in nature to the original, but different in its execution. The attackers used a remote access tool to target a POS system that, as of the May 11th announcement, the Company believed had not been affected. This malware has been discovered on some franchise restaurants’ POS systems, and the number of franchise restaurants impacted by these cybersecurity attacks is now expected to be considerably higher than the 300 restaurants already implicated. To date, there has been no indication in the ongoing investigation that any Company-operated restaurants were impacted by this activity.
Many franchisees and operators throughout the retail and restaurant industries contract with third-party service providers to maintain and support their POS systems. The Company believes this series of cybersecurity attacks resulted from certain service providers’ remote access credentials being compromised, allowing access to the POS system in certain franchise restaurants serviced by those providers.
The malware used by attackers is highly sophisticated in nature and extremely difficult to detect. Upon detecting the new variant of malware in recent days, the Company has already disabled it in all franchise restaurants where it has been discovered, and the Company continues to work aggressively with its experts and federal law enforcement to continue its investigation.
Customers may call a toll-free number (888-846-9467) or email PaymentCardUpdate@wendys.com with specific questions.
About The Wendy’s Company
The Wendy’s Company is the world’s third-largest quick-service hamburger company. The Wendy’s system includes approximately 6,500 franchise and Company-operated restaurants in the United States and 28 countries and U.S. territories worldwide. For more information, visit www.aboutwendys.com.
SOURCE The Wendy’s Company
256 total views, 2 today
Popular Ads Today
- Signal 88 Sales Training Helps Convert Former Police Officers to Sales People (1 views)
- Signal 88 Security Franchise: Why Signal 88? (4 views)
- Signal 88 Security, a Premier Security Services Franchise, Announces Strategic Growth Plan to Add Locations Nationwide (3 views)
- Club Pilates Named America’s Fourth Fastest-Growing Company by Inc. Magazine (2 views)
- Signal 88 Security Franchise Targets Veterans to Fulfill Overwhelming Demand (2 views)
- LOCAL FASTSIGNS FRANCHISEE PROVIDES SIGNS OF SUPPORT FOR BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS (2 views)
- Shell Shack – Signs 8 Unit Franchise Agreement in one of the Top 10 Restaurant Markets (1 views)
- Signal 88 Security: Reed Nyffeler On the Value of the Franchise Group (1 views)
- Moran Family of Brands Announces Franchisees of the Year (1 views)
- SIGNAL 88 OFFICER OF THE MONTH FEBRUARY, BRENDON BENSON (1 views)
- For Signal 88 Security Franchise Owners, Providing Peace of Mind is Personal (1 views)
- Tin Drum Asian Kitchen Taps Hot Foodie Trend with New Poke Menu Offerings (1 views)
- Ziebart Announces New Product To Its Protection And Appearance Line-Up, Ceramic Z-Gloss® Paint Coating, Longest Lasting Paint Coating On The Market (1 views)
- SIGNAL 88 HERO OF THE MONTH: JANUARY, 2017 (1 views)
- NEW FASTSIGNS® CENTER OPENS IN FARMINGTON, NEW MEXICO (1 views)